Spicy Veggie Chilli Non Carne
Share This Recipe:
Who says meat-eaters have to have all the fun?
This super-spicy, aromatic chilli is 100% vegetarian, and it’s also incredibly easy to put together and cook. If you’re a keen vegetarian or are simply looking to cut meat out of your diet, this is an amazing midweek meal which is absolutely crammed with hidden flavours.
It’s a dish that keeps on giving from bite to bite. Give it a go!
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes
Difficulty Level: 2/5
What You’ll Need
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ onion (medium, chopped)
- 2 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers (chopped)
- 3 cans crushed whole tomatoes, peeled (around 28oz)
- 2 cans of green chilli peppers (chopped and drained)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 200g Quorn Mince (or equivalent)
- Pinch of ground pepper (black)
- 100g frozen or tinned sweetcorn
- 400g tin kidney beans
- Sour cream, guacamole, bread or rice to serve
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 58.7g
- Sugar: 12g
- Fibre: 18.1g
- Protein: 28.2g
Heat up some olive oil in a pot on medium before stirring in onion, salt, oregano, cumin and the bay leaves. Keep cooking until the onion is nice and tender
Then, mix in the bell peppers, the jalapeños, the chilli peppers, the garlic and the celery. Heat everything through and add your meat substitute.
Cut the heat to a low temperature, cover up and allow everything to simmer for another 5 minutes
Mix in the tomatoes, season with pepper and chilli powder, before adding in the various beans
Bring everything up to boil then cut the heat back to low. Simmer for another 45 minutes
Bake in the oven for up to 30 minutes. The pie should be browned, bubbling and look absolutely mouth-watering
Add in the corn 5 minutes before the end, and prepare the rice or bread to serve. Enjoy!